Nikon D90 was once a very popular DSLR with stunning features and amazing outputs. It was launched over a decade ago and has been popular right from day 1. Even though it has now been discontinued, its popularity remains. Owners of the DSLR are still looking at ways to improvise and make the most out of it. One of the best ways to do so is to buy the right lens for it based on your requirements.
A Brief About Nikon D90
As aforementioned, the Nikon D90 DSLR was launched many years ago in 2008 and was finally discontinued in 2015. However, it matches up to today’s camera in quite a few interesting ways such as ergonomics. It is also quite a solid camera with a deep grip. Its sensors, though, are not as good as today’s cameras from Nikon. Having said that, you can definitely continue using it in various situations. It is quite a decent camera.
Types of Popular Lenses
Since there are multiple lenses on the market, it is easy to be confused. Which one must you buy? They all seem great! Well, the trick is to understand your basic requirements because lenses are need-specific. Let’s go through the most popular ones now:
- Macro lenses: These lenses cater to macro photography and tiny objects. So, if you generally photograph flowers and insects, you will definitely need this camera.
- Prime lenses: Prime lenses are majorly used for portraits. They are also suitable for wedding photography.
- Telephoto lenses: These lenses come with incredible zoom and are often used for astronomy, wildlife photography, and sports photography.
- Wide-angle lenses: Are you a nature photographer? If yes, wide-angle lenses will easily suit your purpose. You can also use these lenses for interior photography and landscapes.
- All-in-one lenses: As the name suggests, these lenses are good for a variety of purposes and are often used during travel. If you are unable to carry different types of lenses, you can just carry one of these and you will be good to go.
Best Lenses For Nikon D90
Now, let’s go through the best available options of lenses for Nikon D90.
1. Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-300mm lens
Let’s start with one of the most popular telephoto lenses for Nikon D90. With a maximum focal length of 300mm, this lens is versatile and can capture excellent photographs in different conditions. You can also use it as an all-in-one lens due to this reason. Below are some of its important features:
- The maximum magnification on this lens is 032X.
- The range of the focal length is from 18 to 300mm.
- It can focus easily up to a distance of 16 feet.
- The range of the angle of view is from 76 to 520’.
- f/35 to f/22 is the aperture range.
- It is a suitable choice for beginners who are exploring various forms of photography.
- This lens reduces vibrations and has excellent auto-focus capabilities.
2. Nikon 70-300mm NIKKOR Zoom Lens
This is another telephoto lens that reduces vibration and provides superior auto-focus. It is perfect for wildlife and action photographers who need powerful zoom. Read on for more details:
- It works on Vibration Reduction (VRII) that removes camera shake effects and provides sharp images.
- The lens has an Internal Focus (IF) system thanks to which you can enjoy quiet autofocusing that’s also fast.
- The minimum focus range is 4.9 feet while the focal length range is 70-300mm.
- The lens comes with 2 focal modes – M/A and M.
- It also has 2 extra low dispersion glass elements that provide premium contrast and resolution.
- This is one of the best lenses in its price range as it provides sharp and vibrant images without you having to physically move.
3. Nikon AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR Lens
Are you looking for a versatile lens that you can use in any situation? The Nikon AF-S is your answer. It is a micro-NIKKOR, macro lens with a maximum focal length of 105mm and the following features:
- This lens has particularly been designed for macro photography and close-up shots. Having said that, you can also use it for various other photographic situations.
- It comes with the VRII technology that easily reduces vibration.
- The minimum focal distance is 1.03 feet while the focal length is 105mm.
- The lens has both ED glass elements and a nano-crystal coat. They help in delivering outstanding picture quality with zero chromatic aberrations or flare.
- Its internal focus works fast and quietly without altering the lens’ length.
- The lens comes with a 5-year warranty.
- Please note that this is an auto-focus lens but it is not zoomable.
4. Tokina 11-16mm AF-S Motor Lens for Nikon
If you are not particular about purchasing a Nikon lens only and would like to explore other options, the Tokina lens is a good start. It is a wide-angle lens that’s considerably more affordable than others in its league. Let’s go through its features now:
- The aperture range of this lens is f/2.8 to f/22.
- The lens specifically works with cameras that have APS-C sensors.
- It has 2 aspheric lens elements and 2 super-low dispersion elements.
- It also has a multi-layer coating and a 77mm filter thread.
- The maximum focal length is 16mm while the minimum focal length is 11mm.
- This is a well-built lens for beginners and has both, auto-focus and manual settings.
5. Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 85mm Lens
We shall round our list off with an incredible prime lens that has a fixed lens and good auto-focus. Its maximum focal length is 85mm and it comes with the following features:
- This is a fast aperture lens.
- It has internal focus with a range of 0.80 meters.
- Its silent wave motor ensures quiet but reliable function.
- The lens has 7 diaphragm blades.
- The size of the filter attachment is 67mm.
- You can easily switch from auto-focus to manual mode and back.
- The 85mm fixed lens can give you a maximum reproduction ratio of 0.12X.
- The lens has Nikon super integrated coating.
Importance of Buying a Good Lens for Your Nikon D90
You may think that the DSLR itself is good enough. Why should you invest in additional lenses? That’s a good question that we shall answer in this section.
When you purchase a good lens, you enjoy the following benefits:
- Better shots depending on your need
- Excellent zoom
- Quality lenses are long-lasting
- You can change the lens easily to suit your requirements
People Also Ask
Below are answers to a few questions that we have received in the past few weeks:
1) Is Nikon D90 Still a Good Camera?
Yes, it is a good camera in many situations even though the latest Nikons have better sensors.
2) What Lens Comes with Nikon D90?
The camera comes with a face priority AF lens.
3) When was the Nikon D90 Discontinued?
It was discontinued in 2015.
4) Does Nikon D90 Have Image Stabilization?
No, it does not have built-in image stabilization. However, most of the lenses compatible with it have this feature.
5) Is Nikon D90 Good for Video?
No, it isn’t.
6) Does Nikon D90 Have Mic Input?
No, it doesn’t.
Nikon D90 is still a decent camera that can help you capture sharp and vibrant images. The only thing you should do is to buy the right lens after assessing your needs. If you have need any more help in finalizing the lens for your Nikon D90, we are right here. Kindly leave a message.