If photography is the passion of your life, then getting an external flash for Canon becomes an indispensable accessory for you. A good canon flash gives you additional light when the surrounding get too dark, help achieve balanced exposure in the daytime, and allows the freezing of fast-moving subjects. Apart from this Canon external flash gives an artistic feel to the images in almost any light conditions. If you are looking for a beginner or expert, check out our list of seven best flashes for Canon
Best External Flash for Canon
1. Neewer TT560 Flash Speedlite
Neewer TT560 Flash Speedlite has received great reviews online as this best third party flash for canon comes with eight manual power settings, three triggering modes, PC sync socket, built-in reflection board and wide angle diffuser.
Pros of Neewer TT560 Flash Speedlite:
- Available at a budget friendly price online.
- The built quality is very good compared to another flash available in the market.
- Loads of features to improve photos and versatile.
Cons of Neewer TT560 Flash Speedlite:
- The learners might find some difficulty in using the manual flash.
2. Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash for Canon
The Speedlite 430EX II is a canon flash powered with a Guide Number of 43 that works best for suitable telephoto lens shooting and bounce flash. Canon Speedlite 430EX II comes with 24-105mm auto zoom head and a 14mm wide-panel diffuser that gives you a flash coverage when you are working on a full range of shooting situations. This flash is powered by 4 x AA batteries, yet the flash is lightweight, compact and portable to carry anywhere in the camera bag.
Pros of Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash:
- Gets fully charged in less time.
- The Canon flash gives pearl lightening at 5400K.
- The wide panel allows the coverage to 14mm focal.
- Parable while doing auto zoom is quiet and fast on various excursions when used with zoom lenses.
Cons of Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash:
- Lacks in master function.
3. Altura Photo AP-UNV1 DSLR External Camera Flash for Canon
Voted as the best flash for canon, the Altura Photo AP-UNV1 DSLR Camera Flash Speedlite fulfills all the photography expectation. It comes with remote triggers for easy operations; this flash offers you lot of photography options at a pocket-friendly price.
Pros of Altura Photo AP-UNV1 DSLR Camera Flash:
- Series of photography options to get the perfect lighting.
- Compatible with Canon camera and easy to control.
- Has PC synchronizing socket.
- Altura Photo AP-UNV1 has manual flash and eight manual flash levels.
- The package comes with a flash stand, drawstring pouch, tripod mount and cleaning cloth.
- There is a power saving option to longer the life of Altura Photo AP-UNV1 Flash.
Cons of Altura Photo AP-UNV1 DSLR Camera Flash:
- You need to be patient while synchronizing with PC as the process takes a lot of time.
4. Yongnuo YN 560 III Professional Speedlight Flashlight
Yongnuo YN 560 III is the latest version of the very popular YN-560 series of manual flash units. This updated YN560 IV comes 2.4 GHz wireless radio receiver, has a zoom range of 24-105mm that can be expanded to 18 mm with the built-in wide-angle diffuser. Get the full bounce and swivel lighting by moving unit to -7 to 90-degree tilt and 270-degree of rotation Yongnuo YN 560 III flash runs on 4 AA batteries with recycle time of approximately 3 seconds.
Pros of Yongnuo YN 560 III Professional Speedlight Flashlight:
- This external flash for Canon has High Flash Intensity (GN58).
- This unit is compatible with YN560-TX Flash Controller.
- It contains the external battery Input.
- Yongnuo YN 560 has Built-in Receiver.
- The Manual Zoom ranges from 24mm ~ 105mm.
- The Optical Slave Mode has S1 Flash and S2 Pre-flash cancellation.
- Wide Power Range is 1/1 ~ 1/128th in 1/3rd stop increments.
- Has multi-mode, sound prompts and heat detector.
Cons of Yongnuo YN 560 III Professional Speedlight Flashlight:
- The external flash for Canon has not TTL.
- The Limited Zoom Range is between 24 ~ 105mm.
- There is Auto-Zoom or Built-in Trigger.
- Yongnuo YN 560 III comes with old-fashioned Locking Foot which can be a hassle.
5. Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT External Flash for Canon
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT is a compatible Canon external flash with guide number 43 and gives coverage for focal lengths from 24 to 105 mm. The recycling time between flashes lies between 0.1 to 3.5 seconds, but it depends on the power level of the battery. A fully charged battery can give minimum 200 flashes and maximum 1400 flashes. The unit also has infrared AF assist lamp, radio control for flash, ten custom functions and an adjustable head that can tilt to +90 degrees and rotated by 180 degrees.
Pros of Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT Flash:
- The burst time of this Canon external flash is worth considering.
- It’s compact but has all the features that require in professional photography.
- The superb white balance that gives you exposure to get a clear picture with every click.
Cons of Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT Flash:
- No weather sealing in the Canon external flash.
- You feel a certain limitation while rotating the flash head.
- The zoom range is limited to 14-105 mm which can be improved.
- You cannot use an external battery pack.
6. YONGNUO YN560 IV Wireless Flash Speedlite
YONGNUO YN560 IV Wireless Flash Speedlite is a mix of the two previous products YN-560 III and YN560-TX. The Canon flash is made with a built-in wireless trigger system so that one can use it as a flash Speedlite and as flash controller Transmitter. It also has three independent groups, detecting remote control the flash mode, focal length, and flash output.
Pros of YONGNUO YN560 IV Wireless Flash Speedlite:
- All the function and reliability of YN560 IV Wireless Flash Speedlite is flawless.
- It has a lot of high-end features which comes handy while taking a picture.
- Allows controlling zoom and power from the camera.
- The price is very low compared to similar feature Canon compatible flash.
Cons of YONGNUO YN560 IV Wireless Flash Speedlite:
- The built is made out cheap plastic to the durability is questionable.
- For the beginners, it might be complicated to use.
7. AmazonBasics Electronic External Flash for Canon
AmazonBasics Electronic Flash is compatible with all kind of DSLR Cameras and helps in getting great photos even in low-light situations. It has three flash modes: Manual mode, Slave mode 1, and Slave mode 2.
Pros of AmazonBasics Electronic Flash:
- The settings are easy to understand.
- Flash can be tilted from 0 to 90 degree or rotate to 270 degrees to get a perfect click.
- If you are a beginner and need flash which available at a cheap rate, then AmazonBasics Electronic Flash might work for you.
Cons of AmazonBasics Electronic Flash:
- It might require some additional adjustments to connect with the camera.
- The build is not sturdy so handle well.
How to pick external flash for Canon?
If you are a novice in photography looking out for best flash for Canon to improve the quality of shots, then there are few things you should keep in mind before paying for the product. While most of the DSLRs come with built in a flash, they don’t produce an adequate amount of light to get a clear picture.
While choosing the flashlight, decide on what kind of photos you are required to take. As per your need, you can sort the flash and then determine the amount of money you can spend on it. There is high-end flash available, but for beginners, it’s advisable to go cheaper version with a limited feature. This will help you get adjusted using the flashlight and learn the essential features quickly. If you have mastered all the basic features of using the flash, then check the main features of the flashlight.
The first thing to see is the guide number which defines the size of the flash. If you want portrait effect in your photos, then pick one that comes with different flash size. Another point is flash sync that is a camera function. The flash can limit shutter speed of a camera, so use on that comes with higher sync speed that will help in handling the camera with ease. Recycle rate in a flash comes when you are shooting an action scene. In this, the recharge goes flash is important as you want it to be ready to use for next shot. So, your flash should hold a good recycle rate if you want a clear picture of moving subject.
Quick Compare Table of the External Flashes
|Model||Guide Number (m)||Flash Mode||Weight (g)
|Neewer TT560 ||38||M, S1, S2||286|
|Canon Speedlite 430EX II ||43||M, A, WP||331|
|Altura Photo AP-UNV1 ||38||M, S1, S2||589|
|Yongnuo YN 560 III ||57||M||362|
|Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT ||43||M, A, WP||294|
|YONGNUO YN560 IV ||57||M||384|
|AmazonBasics DF500 Flash ||33||M, S1, S2||311|
The best way to upgrade your Canon camera is by using an external flash that will help you take great pictures in low light, shoot moving subjects and have features that will help you click portrait-like photos with a click.