If you fancy macro photography and want to experience it without having to dig a hole in your pocket, you should try extension tubes. They are hollow cylinders that can be placed between the mount and the object and can be adjusted according to your focus requirement. It provides better magnification and hence better quality of images. However, with so many options in the market, picking the best extension tubes for Nikon is not that easy.
Before moving on to our list, let me tell you what size of extension tube you would need. To get the exact magnification that can be achieved by the extension tubes, you need to divide the length of the tube to the focal length of the lens of your camera. This number you get is the magnification you would be able to achieve with the tube. Check out the magnification you can achieve and head out to get the best set of extensions for Nikon.
We have listed the top reviewed Nikon extension tubes in this article. All of these sets have specific functionalities that might interest you. So be sure to pick one according to your magnifying requirements. Let us now move on to our list of Nikon macro extension tubes and find out more about them.
Best Extension Tubes for Nikon
1. MEIKE MK-N-AF1-B Macro Extension Tube
The Meike MK-N-AF1-B is the first on our list with its affordable price range and the various options it provides at such rates. You can get your hands on a pack of three tubes that have varying diameters of 12mm, 20mm, and 30 mm. It can be considered perfect for macro shooting as its configured with engineering plastic material and a metal bayonet.
- You have the ability to use seven kinds of magnifications by trying out seven different kinds of combinations.
- It is compatible with Nikon cameras of lens series DSLR, Nikkor AF, AF-S, D, G, and VR.
- These extension tubes have the perfect diameter to perfectly snug to the camera without being too tight.
- You can use all three of them together. However, it might take you a while to get better clicks with all three at once.
- These tubes also support the autofocus functionality
- These are some of the few mounts available in the market that have metal connections.
2. KENKO Auto Extension Tube Set
The KENKO Extension Tubes for Nikon can be exceptionally used for macro photography which lets you convert any lens to a macro lens and at a much lesser cost than the original ones. It is a set of 3 tubes that needs to be mounted between the camera body and the lens so more distance is created between the film plane and the lens.
- The 3 tubes of 12 mm, 20 mm, and 36 mm can be used all together to make a combination or used individually to manage the focus you desire.
- They are sturdy tubes with a plastic casing and a metal mount.
- The circuitry and mechanical coupling on these tubes make it easy for the autofocus and TTL auto exposure to be maintained.
- These tubes are extremely well made and have a great finish with chromed mounts, anodized metal bodies, and quality electrical contacts.
3. Mcoplus AF Extension Tube Set
The Mcoplus MCO-N-B tube set can be used by attaching between the camera body ad the lens of a 35mm single-lens reflex camera. It is compatible with Nikon DX and Nikon FX mountings. Find out more about it below.
- It has 3 tubes of lengths 12 mm, 20 mm, and 36 mm with a front and rear cap. It also has a user manual to make your work simpler.
- It features brass chromed mounts and is made up of Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene material.
- You can use these for Nikon SLR and Nikkor AF, AF-S, D, G, and VR lens series.
- They are perfect to couple with the camera’s automatic diaphragm.
- The maximum focal length for it is 36 mm.
4. Neewer ABS Extension Tube
The Neewer Auto Focus tubes are among the popular ones on our list. It can be considered a good replacement to the macro lens for professionals as well as amateurs. All of them put together, have a combined range of 7 implying that it can be set to 7 different combinations for all varied outputs.
- This set support autofocus which can be adjusted very easily as the connections to the mount is pretty snug. It makes autofocusing very easy and convenient.
- They are compatible with Nikon SLR, DSLR, and Nikon AF, Af-S, D, G, and VR lens series of cameras.
- The mounting and demounting function is really simple with a quick-release lock.
- It gives us the experience of perfect coupling when attached with cameras of Through the Lens, Automatic Exposure (TTL.AE) technology.
- It can be used for product photography, nature photography, and also in wedding photography for capturing the rings.
5. ECostConnection Macro Extension Tube Set
This tube set from eCostConnection is one of the most affordable products on our list. It is designed to enable the photographer to magnify the focus on his lens. With these 12 mm, 20 mm, and 36 mm extensions, the user can easily adjust them individually or in combination to set it to various focuses for the desired magnification.
- It is a lightweight extension tube that features advanced circuitry and mechanical coupling.
- This includes 3 extensions and a microfiber lens/LCD cleaning cloth.
- These Pro series autofocus tubes are compatible with Nikon DSLR and SLR cameras.
- The front and rear caps allow for safety from dirt and other particles and also helps for prolonged life.
Pick one from our list that suits you the best. Some of the qualities are sure to grab your attention. Once you get an extension tube, always try to experiment with it. It might take you a while to get used to the functionality so don’t worry if you get darker or bad images initially. Adjust the focus and you will get used to the tube you have at hand. They are sure to give you the experience of a macro lens and elevate your photography.