To make beautiful videos for your vlogging channel, all you need is your confidence, the right material, and great equipment! Picking the right equipment like a great DSLR, a compatible & best canon flash and especially the lens which is very important for the flawless videos you’ll be posting on your YouTube channels. The good news is that there are many varieties of lenses available in the market for you to choose as your best lens for vlogging.
Sometimes though, it can get frustrating browsing through so many products, trying to figure out which one would be the best for you. Each lens has different features, and while those features make sense to a camera geek, it might not be as clear to everyone else. Your decision-making process can get really tough if you are not 100% sure of what features you want in your lens. To keep you focused on your passion, we have written a simplistic article where we pick out the best lenses in the market and explain which lens is best used for which purpose.
Before we start off with the list of our favorite products, let us go through the important features to consider in a lens suited for vlogging:
- Type of lens- While picking the best canon lens for vlogging, always choose either a prime lens or a zoom lens. Prime lenses have a wider aperture, which means you can see more of the background in the frame as compared to a standard lens. Prime lenses are preferred since they are faster and lighter than other lenses and give a sharper image at the same time. Zoom lenses offer you more versatility than other lenses.
- Autofocus in lens- The camera and the lens both have AF sensors, and proper matching of sensors is important since poor matching can cause issues with autofocus in the form of slow focus, focus seeking, and other problems. Ensure your lens is compatible with your camera body.
- Focal length- Focal length lets you choose how much of your background you want to show to your audience. For a wide-angle lens, other factors such as curvature of straight lines and possible distortion also need to be covered, so that the ‘fish-eye’ effect is reduced.
Best Lens for Vlogging
1) Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens
This is the best canon lens for vlogging as per this list, because even though it looks almost like a standard lens, and is of approximately the same size as well. As an ultra-wide lens, it gives you the amount of background that you need for your vlogs. Some of its features are-.
- The focal length of this lens is f/4.5 to f/5.6, which means it gives a limited performance in low lighting conditions or at nighttime.
- The aperture of the lens is 10-18 mm.
- The closest distance that it can give clear focus is 0.22 meters or 0.72 feet
- It also has a stepping motor to ensure noise-free video shooting
- This lens also has an optical image stabilizer
2) Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM SLR Lens
Many APS-C camera users have declared this lens as the best canon lens for vlogging. It is twice the size, weight, and price of the previous lens; and with these features come the exceptional quality that has drawn many famous vloggers to it.
- This is a wide angle zoom lens with the aperture between 10 mm and 22 mm
- It has a focal length of f/3.5 to f/4.5
- The close focusing distance is 9.5 inches
- An advantage of using this lens would be to get natural highlights in your frame thanks to its circular aperture designs
- It also comes with a 1-year warranty for you!
3) Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM Ultra Wide Angle Zoom Lens
The optical quality for this lens is the one of the best in the world. This is one of the best lens for vlogging since it is a full-frame lens, which means it will fit both full-frame cameras and APS-C cameras. It snaps into focus very quickly, almost as if it is always in focus. Take a look at some other facilities that this lens gives you:
- It is an ultra-wide-angle zoom lens
- The maximum aperture of this lens is f/4
- It gives a diagonal angle view of 104°, -57° 30°
- This lens comprises 3 aspherical lens elements which have the closest focusing distance as 11 inches
- The presence of an ultra-sonic ring type monitor gives you silent and fast autofocus
- It also comes with a one-year warranty
4. Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens
This is one of the best lens for vlogging, specifically made for APS-C cameras and give a constant focal length of f/2.8. This lens beautifully combines the speed of the regular lens with enhanced optical image stabilization. It may be big and heavy but the quality of photos it provides, even for macro or micro photography is absolutely worth it.
- It is a 17-55 mm wide angle zoom lens
- The maximum aperture for this lens is f/2.8
- The closest focusing distance for this lens is 1.15 feet
- This lens has a circular aperture and so it shows shallow depth of field
- It also comes with a one-year warranty
Any one of the top four lenses can easily become the best canon lens for vlogging and for YouTube videos. Based on your vlog and YouTube video requirements, you can pick any of the lenses for yourself. For general vlogging purposes, we would recommend the Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens since it covers almost everything that is needed for a vlogger’s camera.