What is Vlogging?
Vlogging was not as popular before a few years as it is today. And even today, many computer users don’t know it completely (this includes some bloggers too!). Vlogging is actually a blog post in the form of a short video.
For example, when a person makes a video story of his/her daily routine and publishes it on a website or YouTube, then it’s called Vlogging. In recent times, this type of content has gained popularity worldwide incredibly, and it will not go out of trend, for the next few years at least.
To make beautiful videos for your vlogging channel, all you need is your confidence, the right material, and great equipment! Picking the right equipment like an excellent DSLR, a compatible & best canon flash, and especially the lens which is very important for the flawless videos you’ll be posting on your YouTube channels. The good news is that there are many varieties of lenses available in the market for you to choose as your best lens for vlogging.
Sometimes though, it can get frustrating browsing through so many products, figuring out which one would be the best for you. Each lens has different features, and while those features make sense to a camera geek, it might not be as clear to everyone else. Your decision-making process can get really tough if you are not 100% sure of what features you want in your lens. To keep you focused on your passion, we have written a simplistic article where we pick out the best lenses in the market and explain which lens is best used for which purpose.
Things to consider before buying Vlogging lenses:
Before we start off with the list of our favorite products, let us go through the essential features to consider in a lens suited for vlogging:
Type of Lens:
While picking the best canon lens for vlogging, always choose either a prime lens or a zoom lens. Prime lenses have a wider aperture, which means you can see more of the background in the frame as compared to a standard lens. Prime lenses are preferred since they are faster and lighter than other lenses and give a sharper image simultaneously. Zoom lenses offer you more versatility than different lenses.
Autofocus in Lens:
The camera and the lens both have AF sensors, and proper matching of sensors is vital since poor matching can cause issues with autofocus in the form of slow focus, focus seeking, and other problems. Ensure your lens is compatible with your camera body.
Focal length lets you choose how much of your background you want to show to your audience. For a wide-angle lens, other factors such as curvature of straight lines and possible distortion also need to be covered, so that the ‘fish-eye’ effect is reduced.
Best Canon Lens for Vlogging
1. Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens
This is the best canon lens for vlogging as per this list, because even though it looks almost like a standard lens, and is of approximately the same size as well. As an ultra-wide lens, it gives you the amount of background that you need for your vlogs. Some of its features are-.
- The focal length of this lens is f/4.5 to f/5.6, which means it gives a limited performance in low lighting conditions or at nighttime.
- The aperture of the lens is 10-18 mm.
- The closest distance that it can give clear focus is 0.22 meters or 0.72 feet
- It also has a stepping motor to ensure noise-free video shooting
- This lens also has an optical image stabilizer
2. Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM SLR Lens
Many APS-C camera users have declared this lens as the best canon lens for vlogging. It is twice the size, weight, and price of the previous lens; and with these features comes the exceptional quality that has drawn many famous vloggers to it.
- This is a wide-angle zoom lens with an aperture between 10 mm and 22 mm
- It has a focal length of f/3.5 to f/4.5
- The close focusing distance is 9.5 inches
- An advantage of using this lens would be to get natural highlights in your frame thanks to its circular aperture designs.
- It also comes with a 1-year warranty for you!
3. Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM Ultra Wide Angle Zoom Lens
The optical quality for this lens is one of the best in the world. This is one of the best lenses for vlogging since it is a full-frame lens, which means it will fit both full-frame cameras and APS-C cameras. It snaps into focus very quickly, almost as if it is always in focus. Take a look at some other facilities that this lens gives you:
- It is an ultra-wide-angle zoom lens
- The maximum aperture of this lens is f/4
- It gives a diagonal angle view of 104°, -57° 30°
- This lens comprises 3 aspherical lens elements which have the closest focusing distance as 11 inches
- The presence of an ultra-sonic ring-type monitor gives you silent and fast autofocus
- It also comes with a one-year warranty
4. Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens
This is one of the best lenses for vlogging, specifically made for APS-C cameras, and gives a constant focal length of f/2.8. This lens beautifully combines the speed of the regular lens with enhanced optical image stabilization. It may be big and heavy, but the quality of photos it provides for macro and micro photography is absolutely worth it.
- It is a 17-55 mm wide-angle zoom lens
- The maximum aperture for this lens is f/2.8
- The closest focusing distance for this lens is 1.15 feet
- This lens has a circular aperture and so it shows a shallow depth of field
- It also comes with a one-year warranty
5. Canon EF-50 mm f/1.8 STM Lens
If you are ever in an environment where lights are not optimum enough for vlogging, then this lens is your best bet. The wide f/1.8 aperture lets more than 8 times the light than a standard zoom lens. Let us understand more of its features:
The 50 mm focal length allows you to fill your frame from a long-distance, making it best for portraits.
- It is compact and lightweight.
- It has a diagonal view of 46 degrees.
- It has an 80 mm effective focal length on APS C cameras.
- It has a minimum focusing distance of 1.15 feet.
6. Canon EF-S-24mm f/2.8 STM Lens
This is an incredibly lightweight and compact lens. It is excellent for vlogging because it is very slim, you can carry it absolutely anywhere with minimum hassle. Let us understand more of its features:
- It has a focal length and maximum aperture of 24 and 1: 28 aperture.
- The minimum focusing distance is 0.16 meters / 0.5 feet.
- It has a filter size of 52 mm.
- It has a 7 blade circular aperture that provides superb out-of-focus detail.
- It will give you very sharp image quality.
STM Lens USM SLR Lens Ultra Wide Angle Zoom Lens IS USM Lens
Model Number 9519B005AA 9518A002 8806A002 1242B002
Dimensions 2.8 x 3 x 3 Inch 3.5 x 3.3 x 3.3 Inch 3.8 x 3.3 x 3.3 Inch 4.4 x 3.3 x 3.3 Inch
Weight 8.5 ounces 13.6 ounces 1.1 pounds 1.42 pounds
Focus Type Stepper motor Ring-type Ultrasonic Ring-type Ultrasonic Ring-type ultrasonic
Lens Type Wide Angle Wide Angle Wide Angle Wide Angle
Focal Length 10-18 millimeters 10-22 millimeters 17-40 millimeters 17-55 millimeters
Camera Mount Canon EF-S Canon EF-S Canon EF Canon EF-S
Any one of the above-mentioned six lenses can quickly become the best canon lens for vlogging and YouTube videos. Based on your vlog and YouTube video requirements, you can pick any of the lenses for yourself. We would recommend the Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens for general vlogging purposes since it covers almost everything that is needed for a vlogger’s camera.
How to Make Money with Vlogging?
Making money with Vlogging is not as hard as many users think. Today, the equipment and setup that is needed for doing Vlogging are available easily at relatively low prices. You will be surprised, but sometimes, the motto of making content for Vlogging is not to make money from it!
Build Audience: At the start, Vlogging is just like you make a blog post on your website. You will not make money in the beginning. But as you start marketing it, people will watch your videos, share them, and subscribe to your channel if they want. Significantly, you will make money from it.
Monetization: You can also use Google AdSense on your YouTube channel or website. It is a famous program from Google which helps you earn money by displaying ads on your content or video page. You can attract advertisement agencies by creating interesting and engaging unique video content.
Make Brand: If you become successful in engaging a potential audience and get a significant amount of subscribers & viewers for your videos, then you can become a brand. You can then sell merchandise and make money. You can also get sponsorship from interested companies.