Best Nikon D3500 external mic – Get high quality mics for your camera.
The Nikon D3500 is an extremely popular camera with some sparkling features that photographers love. However, it is missing one important thing – the audio input jack.
Best Nikon D3500 External Mic – Buying Guide
At first glance, this might feel like a small thing but you will realize just how important this jack is when you want to use a microphone. There are 2 things you could do to remedy this:
- Buy an adapter and connect the mic to the camera
- Buy an external mic and combine the audio later during post-production
The first option depends a lot on chance. We have seen a few instances where this does not work. The second one is an easier and straightforward option. There’s no way that this won’t work. That’s why our vote goes to the external mic.
We have enlisted the main considerations for you to make while choosing an external mic:
- The purpose: Different mics suit different purposes. For example, if you want to record instruments or vocals, you will need a high-end mic. For other reasons, you can get a budget mic.
- The sound: Of course, the sound quality has to be top-notch. Otherwise, it beats the purpose of a mic altogether. Make sure it promises excellent sound in different environments.
- The pick-up pattern: Bass response and cardioid capabilities are two parameters. Which one do you need? For low frequency, the first one is good and for recording vocals, the second one makes more sense.
- The price: The final consideration is price. Some mics are quite pricey and may not be worth it. So, comparing the options available and choosing one that fits your budget is the way to go.
We shall now review some of the best Nikon D3500 external mics for you. You will see quite a difference in the features, etc. giving you a chance to compare and pick the mic that suits your needs.
1. Zoom H1n Portable Recorder
Let’s start off with an extremely popular recorder on Amazon – the Zoom H1n Portable Recorder is currently a bestseller. Below are the reasons why:
- This is a USB recorder with a streamlined body and matte finish. It also has an enclosure for the mic.
- The microphones are built-in. They are stereo condenser mics, designed in the x/Y format (90 degrees).
- The battery life is around 10 hours with regular usage.
- The button controls offer a one-touch feature for easy operation.
- The recorder is quite user-friendly because it has intuitive menus and localized options.
- Its main functions include Voice Emphasize Filter, Playback Speed Control, Stereo Overdubbing, etc.
2. Zoom H4n Pro 4-Track Portable Recorder
This is another recorder from Zoom and it lives up to its popularity as well. It is an excellent choice for audio for video, music recording, podcasting, and stereo recording because of the following features:
- You can use it through the USB port or the digital card.
- It offers 4-channel recording and has a built-in stereo.
- The microphones are x/Y.
- You can record directly onto SD cards. It is capable of recording up to 32 GB.
- The recorder comes in a protective case for easy portability.
- It has locking connectors – XLR/TRS.
- The body is rubberized, ergonomic, and easy to use.
- The display is LCD, bright, and easy to read.
3. Tascam DR-40X 4-Track Digital Audio Recorder
The Tascam Audio Recorder is suitable for multiple forms of recordings. It is compatible with iOS, PC, and Mac. Its features are as follows:
- The recorder has unidirectional stereo microphones that are capable of recording x/Y and A/B positions.
- It has TRS and XLR inputs and is compatible with +4dBu.
- Its 4-channel mode is an excellent feature for overdub recording and dual recording.
- It also has the MS Decoding functionality.
- The USB connector type is USB Micro B-type.
4. Tascam DR-10L Portable Digital Audio Recorder
This model from Tascam comes with a Lavalier microphone. It is a portable, easy to use recorder that has some excellent features. They are as follows:
- This recorder enables mono/poly recording.
- It supports the WAV format. But, it is also compatible with BWF.
- It just needs a single AAA battery to operate. On full charge, you will be able to use it for around 10 hours.
- The mic comes with a windscreen and a microphone clip.
- It supports SDHC and SD cards up to 32GB.
- It has a neat sliding record switch and hold function that enables easy recording without mishaps.
5. Sony ICD-PX470 Stereo Digital Voice Recorder
The Sony Digital Voice Recorder is an Amazon’s Choice product. You can use a MicroSD, digital card, or USB to connect and it has a built-in mic. Here are a few more details:
- Its direct USB connection enables you to transfer files quickly to your PC.
- The MicroSD slot can help you expand the memory based on your requirements.
- It provides incredible battery life of up to 55 hours!
- The microphone is adjustable and promises clear voices.
- The box comes with 2 batteries to get you started, an instruction manual, and a warranty card.
The Nikon D3500 is a great camera to have. You can make it even more functional with the help of an external mic. Our experts have recommended the aforementioned options for you to upgrade your DSLR. Make sure you compare them and pick whatever you like best. All the best!