The Nikon D850 is an amazing camera that Nikon introduced in 2017. It has brilliant multimedia capabilities including time-lapse recording and capturing flawless stills.
The 45.7 MP camera is for those who have an interest in detailed photography. While it may be good for beginners as well, it is a truly pro DSLR camera that multiple experts swear by. But, as you may already know, you can make the Nikon D850 even better with a compatible flash that does justice to its capabilities. There are many Nikon and non-Nikon flashes that you can buy for this purpose and in this article, we will touch upon both.
Before we go any further, though, we want to discuss the features you should look for while buying a flash.
Which is The Best Flash for Nikon D850?
- What do you love shooting the most? This is the first question you should ask yourself because your choice will predominantly depend on this. For example, for simple portraits, you may not need highly capable flashlights.
- A lot depends on your gear as well. The power of the flash should correspond with the type of lens you have.
- The recycling rate should be decent enough based on your needs.
- Do you need an auto-mode or do you prefer manually adjusting the settings? Most flashes have both and we recommend these.
- You can also need to keep your budget in mind so that you don’t end up spending more than you have to.
- Once you consider these points, you can skim through advanced features if you like. These may include wireless control, LED light, etc.
While it is ideal to stick to Nikon and buy their flashes, we recommend that you check the best non-Nikon flash for D850 as well. They are reliable and may cost less.
Best Flash for Nikon D850
It’s time to dive right in and learn about the best options the market has to offer to us.
1. Nikon SB-700 AF Speedlight Flash for Nikon D850
Highly versatile and easy to use, this flash from Nikon is one of the most popular options. Its Nikon tag makes it trustable and that’s a huge reason why users purchase it. What are the other reasons? Read on to find out:
- It comes with i-TTL Flash Control that lets you customize and adjust the settings.
- It offers wireless operation and Hot Shoe.
- You have complete freedom of positioning the flash head however you want.
- It is a portable flash.
- The flash is compatible with all Creative Lighting System products. You can select 2 remote speedlight groups to connect together.
- It works wonders in multiple lighting options.
- Its recycle time is approximately 2.5 seconds.
- Its multi-step auto-zoom has a wide range from 24 mm to 120 mm.
- Its other features include thermal cut-off, ready light, color filters, and firmware update.
2. Godox V860II-N Flash for Nikon D850
It’s not from Nikon but it is certainly Amazon’s Choice! The Godox V860II has so many happy users that it is now one of the bestsellers. Its wide range of features has attracted many beginners and professionals alike. Let’s take a look at these features:
- It has built-in wireless transmission at 2.4 G.
- Its transmission distance is 100 meters.
- It fully supports TTL functions, allowing you to use manual and auto modes based on your preferences.
- Its sync is 1/8000, which is quite commendable.
- The recycle time is 1.5 seconds and it gives 650 full power pops.
- The zoom coverage ranges from 20 to 200.
- Its guide number is quite high at GN60.
- Other features include second curtain sync, flash exposure lock, flash exposure compensation, slave-ready indicator, swinging flash head, and controllable slave group0s.
- In this package, you will get everything you need to get started along with a stand, a protection case, batteries, and a color filter.
3. Altura Photo AP-305N Camera Flash
Here’s another Amazon’s Choice product and it is not from Nikon! (Didn’t we tell you there are multiple options out there?) This camera flash from Altura comes with a manual trigger and a whole range of features that will impress you. A few of them are as follows:
- It has multiple advanced wireless functions thanks to its 2.4 G transmission.
- The trigger is wireless and manual with 16 communication channels.
- It is a compact and portable flashlight.
- It comes with numerous flexible modes including manual, multi-mode, and TTL.
- Its guide number is 118 feet.
- The flash sync is 1/250 in manual trigger mode. By default, it is 1/8000.
- The zoom range is from 24 to 105 mm.
- It comes with a few good additional features as well such as a catchlight panel, a wide-angle diffuser, a USB port, and a locking ring.
4. YONGNUO Wireless Speed Flashlight
YONGNUO is one of the leading affordable flashes for Nikon D850. It is extremely reliable and comes with quite a few good features. This is why it made it to our list. Let’s find out more about it:
- It fully supports the wireless master function with a 2.4 G transceiver.
- Its recycle time is 3 seconds.
- The guide number is 190 at 100-150 mm.
- The multi-mode option lets you fire a series of flashes.
- Its zoom range is 1/1 to 1/128.
- The long-range manual flash also comes with a wide-angle diffuser.
5. Nikon SB-5000 AF Speedlight Flash for Nikon D850
We decided to end our list with our favorite Nikon speedlight – The Nikon SB-5000. It comes with amazing capabilities that professionals are bound to enjoy. Let’s check out a few:
It allows radio control for wireless lighting.
- It has a cooling system in place that lets you take 100 shots consecutively.
- It is fully compatible with i-TTL.
- Its tilt range is from -7 to 90 degrees.
- The flash rotates in both directions by 180 degrees.
- Its guide number is 113 at 100 and 35 mm.
- The recycle time is fast and ranges from 1.8 to 2.6 seconds.
- It allows quick access to settings through its info button.
- The zoom ranges from 24 to 200 mm, which is quite good.
- Its sync features include curtain sync (1st and 2nd), high-speed sync, and slow sync.
- The speedlight comes with a stand, diffuser, filter, pouch, and case.
We can guarantee that no matter which flashes you buy, you will be happy. But there’s a small catch – you must choose based on your needs. If you have just ventured into the world of photography, for example, you do not need an SB-5000. It has multiple advanced features and is quite pricey. If you are a professional, this one totally makes sense. In each price range, there are various models to satiate your needs. This is why we recommend thorough research and understanding before pressing the Buy button.
If you have any doubts or queries, please feel free to talk to us. We are always happy to help!